Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Dismayed Again!!

On Sunday, June 19th the National Geographic Channel had a special on Alaska. The show's premise was to give the audience "secret tips" they would get nowhere else. The show was very interesting UNTIL they focused on the sled dog teams. This is when I became upset (and I might add here to strengthen my credibility - my husband also became upset). The narrator began by showing these sled dogs outside running the sleds. Then the focus switched to the kennels that breed these dogs.

Let me set the scene:
30-40 dogs in a fenced area devoid of grass; small wooden boxes maybe 2' X 2' for shelter; dogs attached to 3 foot chains; interaction with humans only when fed or when training.

The kennel owner went on and on about the wonderful diet the dogs are fed - how she cooks for them each day - most of the meal was rice - very little meat. THEN, the show focused on Alaska's National Park service sled dogs. They were kept in the same manner - small shelters, 3 foot chain, little contact, etc.....

I have not been able to get this out of my mind. I know that these dogs are working dogs - that they do enjoy pulling the sleds. But, I find it negligible that these owners have so little contact or care for their dogs. It was clear from the show that these dogs craved attention.

I simply feel sad for these dogs. I want to hug them and give them a warm place to sleep. If only I could ....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home