Thursday, June 02, 2005

What is responsible pet ownership?

After reading today's entry on my favorite Pit Bull blog (http://spaces.msn.com/members/nkbapbt/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c=) I got to thinking about responsible dog/pet ownership.
(I do have original thoughts of my own - this one really sparked me!)

Responsible pet ownership

What is it? What is the criteria for being a responsible owner? Are there levels of responsibleness (is that really even a word?)?

I consider myself to be a responsible owner - loving my dogs, living and sharing my home openly with them, socializing them, ensuring proper health care, and the list could go on.

However,

Would the fact that I tend to allow them to be overweight, that I do not train them consistently, that I do not ensure proper daily exercise -- would this make me an irresponsible owner?

I tend to be quick to judge those that I feel are not treating their dogs humanely (ie: dog living outside -partially or totally ignored and or chained, untrained, unloved, etc....) But, should I be more focused on my own irresponsibilities?

I am eager to hear what your thoughts are on this subject. Be sure that when given a bit more time I will be researching this topic and posting again. For now, just let me know your thoughts on responsibilities of pet owners.

2 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't work my dog's every single day either...but I provide some outlet for them everyday. Be it play, scent work (which is as simple as hiding treats around their yard/or the house (and 15 mins of scent work is like 45mins of exercise!)), I play tug with them or walk them. Why? Mostly because if I don't they drive me batty! But also because they deserve to get out and do something they love...when they are locked inside most of the day while I work.

I am not a pro trainer either...I will admit Jaeden still jumps on me and my roomie..mostly because shes too short to kiss you otherwise. But also because I havent gotten around to training her to stop.

But I do not think I am a 'bad owner'. However I feel I am better then 99.99% out there.

My dogs are spoiled. They are socailized and trained enough to be under control 99.999999% of the time ;)

But most of all I know I am a good enough owner to see any signs of trouble. Like human aggression. But what is more, I know I would make the right choice and do the right thing. By my dogs, by the community and by myself.

I would never put the public in danger.

And that's what makes me a better owner then most =)

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me Nik by the way...I couldnt log on for some reason! =I

 

Post a Comment

<< Home