Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Nonsense I say!

Recently I watched a news report about blogging. The reporter outlined all the different types of blogs, the history of development, their uses, and their effectiveness. She spoke about the most read blogs - those that focus on controversial and/or political issues; she interviewed experts in the world of blogging -- those who are 'in the know' about the ins and outs of blogging. It was an interesting piece until she and the 'expert' began to degrade personal blogs.

Both the reporter and the expert indicated that personal blogs lack the attractiveness to build readership. They explained that blogging about one's dog or cat or family was too narrow a subject area to gain an audience. Such blogs lack content and credibility they said. They serve no purpose. Basically what I heard them say was that personal blogs are a waste of time for the blogger, for the blog companies and for any readers who happen across the blogs.

What a sad commentary. How sad that a reporter, someone who is suppose to appreciate the written word, would discourage others from writing. As an English composition instructor, as a writer and as a lover of language, I encourage all types of writing and reading. All writing - all practice of writing -should be encouraged. Does the writing have to be fancy - highfalutin words and sentence structure? Does it have to be provocative, controversial, and/or political?

For me, this blog (even though I don't write in it as often as I'd like) is therapeutic. It allows me to practice my 'voice' and my style. I also enjoy reading others' blogs in which they grow as writers, not taking political or provocative stands just to stand, but rather share of themselves. I grow as they grow.

So, is my personal blog a waste of time for me and for you the reader? Could be. But more than likely not. Time is never wasted when we use it to better ourselves and others.

My reply to the reporter -- Nonsense! I completely disagree and respectfully submit that such blogs are very worthwhile, necessary even. And, even though I disagree with her report, even it had merit. After all, it made me think and made me write. And, isn't that the whole point?